Epic Platform Tutorial Epic Platform Tutorial

Not so epic.

This isn't much of a tutorial. You just put copy/pasteable script in there, and didn't even explain how it works or anything. And, it's really small text, so people can't read it. You didn't explain how people can customize it or anything. And it won't work with AS3. And there are bugs. Main one was you could kind of get in the wall and just go up. I got out of the stage in two seconds right at the start.

Score...
Graphics : 4/10 - Not very interesting.
Music : 6/10 - Got annoying pretty fast.
Tutorial-ness : 3/10 - Didn't teach, just gave us the code.
Code : 5/10 - Buggy.
Modesty : 1/10 - Self-explanatory. I didn't actually put this into my score though.

Overall : 4.5/10 - Rounds to five.

TheShyGuy responds:

I explained how most of it worked... why were you trying to get out the stage anyway? its a tutorial, not a game.

Platformer Tutorial Platformer Tutorial

Not bad.

It's not bad. Could be better, but not bad. The movement section is pretty clean. As you said, not the greatest AI. Also, you could pick up the items by swinging at them. Of course, this could actually be incorporated into a game, but it's not the greatest thing in the world. Also, you should probably try to stay away from coding in movieclips. It's fine if you do, but if you want to transition into AS3 anytime soon, you should probably code in the timeline. It's also a lot easier to find stuff, because everything is in one place. Also, there's a glitch where if you jump, and attack while in the air, you fall through the ground. Not horrible, and really easy to fix, but still, you know what I mean. So overall, it was pretty good for a beginner to low-intermediate actionscripter, but it could be better.

chunkycheese12 responds:

I know, it's for beginners. I code on the frame now, but for beginners who dont want to travel to AS3 should keep it simple in movieclips for now. This tutorial was made for 'i dont know much' people.

Digital Gauntlet Demo Digital Gauntlet Demo

It's pretty good...

but could be better. You could cheat by holding down the mouse button, or if you're fast enough, you can right click and go somewhere else and click. i hope your gonna fix these things if you do end up making the whole game. If i leave out the fact that you can cheat through the level, though, it actually wasnt bad. other than, of course, its a demo.

Vectorific! Vectorific!

good

the only thing i can really say is that the controls are a bit shaky. the fact that the thing that you control just goes straight towards the mouse, with no friction, and just stops right when it touches the mouse, just annoys me. it should slowly come to a stop, i think. it would make it a lot better, imo. good job though. 4/5, 8/10

CowPro responds:

See If I added realistic friction when it slowed towards the mouse then if it went past the mouse it would have to turn around and go back which got to be really hard to control and it made it look like it was on an elastic band rather than just driving to the mouse.

Throw It! (KB Game) Throw It! (KB Game)

how is your file size so low?

yes, i understand that this is API, but still, how? i have 523 lines of code, and mine is over 12 kb.
now to be on topic... i love the game. although i do sorta suck at it. the only thing is that the gravity is, as other people have said, too high. make it lower, and it'll be loads better. i love how the background color changes every time you reset it. that's all i can say about this game. good job!

Pac-man thingy Pac-man thingy

not good.

its just not good man. the collision detection was crap - walls shoulda been hitTest, and pellets shoulda been shapeflag, not the other way around. and there's no friction whatsoever. try harder next time

mastergurosp responds:

Ok thanks for the review. I was just testing some action script. It was my first attempt and I'll try harder next time.

Flash 8 Tutorial Flash 8 Tutorial

i suggest

you make the actions actually work on the cursor chaser, and that the weapons button go to the weapons tutorial

Platformer Tutorial pt.1 Platformer Tutorial pt.1

with ur code...

i cant go up hills, i can only go down. Maybe u can help? other than that tho, it was very good. everything else works fine

AsianSpark responds:

Hills? Maybe try jumping. That would help. Thanks for reviewing...!

Snorol Snorol

one suggestion...

make it so u can jump at any time, not just when ur moving forward

tudway responds:

sorry about that, i'm still only an amateur at actionscript.

Stop Bird Flu Stop Bird Flu

u'd think the birds would...

run away when shot in the body, and die when shot in the head, not vice versa. other than that tho, good game.